The AVID Mission
The mission of AVID is to ensure that ALL students, and most especially the least-served students who are in the middle:
- Will succeed in rigorous curriculum
- Will complete a college-preparatory path
- Will enter mainstream activities for the school
- Will increase their enrollment in four-year colleges, and
- Will become educated, responsible participants and leaders in a democratic society
What AVID is…
- AVID is an acronym that stands for Advancement Via Individual Determination.
- AVID is an in-school academic support program for grades 4-12 that prepares students for college eligibility and success.
- AVID places academically average students in advanced classes.
- AVID levels the playing field for minority, rural, low-income and other students without a college-going tradition in their families.
- AVID is for all students, but it targets those in the academic middle.
- AVID is implemented school-wide and district-wide.
Typical AVID Practices:
- AVID Binders & Academic Updates
- Cornell Notes
- Higher Level Questioning Skills (Costa’s and Bloom’s)
- College Readiness and SAT/ACT Testing Preparation
To learn more about the AVID Program, visit the AVID national web site, http://www.avidonline.org/
Applications to the program are accepted early in the spring semester for students rising to grades 9 – 11. Students can not be added to AVID as a senior.